Tips For Keeping Pets Safe On Thanksgiving Day
It’s that time for family gatherings and big delicious feasts. It can be very tempting to give your pet a treat during this time. However, sometimes too many treats can cause severe illness or even injury for our pets. Here are some important tips to help keep your pet(s) safe this holiday.
1. Fatty Foods: Too many fatty, rich, or unfamiliar foods can give your pet pancreatitis or gastroenteritis; two medical conditions that can be very painful and even life-threatening.
2. Diet and Exercise: Maintain your pet’s regular meal and exercise schedule and avoid too many holiday leftovers. A disruption in his dietary routine can cause stomach upset, diarrhea and/or vomiting.
3. Bones: Make no bones about it. Certain bones can lacerate or obstruct your pets’ insides. Save the bones for the broth – not your dog.
4. Onions: Onions and onion powder, widely found in stuffing and used as a general seasoning, will destroy your dog or cat’s red blood cells, which can lead to anemia.
5. Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins contain a toxin that can cause kidney damage to both dogs and cats.
6. Chocolate: Chocolate can actually be fatal to your dog or cat; so all those sweets must be kept well out of reach.
7. Food Wrappings: Aluminum foil, wax paper and other food wrappings can cause intestinal obstruction. Make sure to place these items securely in the garbage.
8. Fresh Water: Make sure your pet always has fresh water. When there are more people in the house, there’s more chance to bump into the water bowl leaving your pet dry.
9. Quiet Time: Make sure your pet has a quiet retreat should the holiday festivities be too much for him. Watch his behavior to make sure he is not stressed.
10. Garbage: Keep an eye on the garbage and keep it securely fastened! If your dog gets into it, he may think he’s hit the jackpot, but all he’ll be winning is health problems from something as simple as gastric disturbance, vomiting and diarrhea to the worst-case scenario – death.
If your pet starts vomiting, having diarrhea, showing signs of lethargy or you suspect they may have gotten into something they shouldn’t have, call us immediately at 215-233-3958.